IAQ Tools for Schools
- Livestock and Manure
- Private Well Water
- Adding an Addition
- Food Protection Program
- Cosmetology Shops
- Hamden Housing Code
- Subsurface SewageDisposal (Septic)
- Bed Bug Information
Barbershops, Hairdressing and Cosmetology Shops
As of 2004, QVHD inspects all barbershops, hairdressing and
cosmetology shops within the District, and issues a yearly certificate
of compliance if the facility is found to be in compliance with the
Plan review requirements for proposed
cosmetology shop to operate within QVHD jurisdiction
outlines the information QVHD must receive and, favorably review,
prior to approving your proposal for a new cosmetology shop. The
purpose of the review process is to insure that the new facility is
constructed in compliance with all regulations enforced by this
office. It is an opportunity for you to find out, prior to starting
construction or remodeling, what we require.
Please read the following carefully, and do not hesitate to call if
you have any questions.
Please provide an estimate of projected business volume, for
example, number of clients daily and hours and days of operation.
The floor plan should be a scale drawing showing the
following: (please use a scale of at least ¼ "= 1'. Use of graph
paper is allowed.
- Location of all fixed equipment:
- __ shampoo sinks
- __ pedicure spas
- __ hand sinks
- __ clean/soiled linen storage
- __ chairs (54" minimum center spacing)
- __ restrooms
- __ storage
- __ utility sink(s)
- __ mop sink
- Plumbing: Indicate the presence of backflow devices, air gaps
and indirect connections to waste lines, where needed. You may
wish to draw this information on a separate sheet.
- Please specify floor, wall and ceiling materials to be used
throughout the shop.
- Ventilation system. (Location, type)
- Indicate whether water supply and sewage disposal will be
public or private.
- Indicate proposed refuse storage location, capacity, and
frequency of disposal.
FOR OPENING A COSMETOLOGY SHOP
- ___ Be in contact with Town Departments:
__ Planning and Zoning
- ___ Obtain a “plan review packet” from QVHD.
- ___ Prepare a floor plan, list of equipment, etc.
- ___ Submit plan and registration form to QVHD for review.
- ___ A QVHD sanitarian will be assigned.
- ___ Once the QVHD sanitarian has approved your plan, the
building official will be notified an construction can begin after
obtaining the appropriate building/plumbing permits.
- ___ Notify QVHD of any changes to approved plan during
- ___ Prior to opening, a pre-opening inspection by the QVHD
sanitarian is required.