Our weekly news column bringing the most current, non-biased health
information to the consumer.
December 1, 2009
A Publication of QVHD
There is Applesauce on My Ceiling!
By: V. Deborah Culligan, RN, MPH,
Deputy Director QVHD
In my rush to get my
buffet supper out when celebrating a birthday dinner for my father, I
dropped a pan of 12 pounds of homemade hot applesauce onto the floor!
Fortunately, no one was burned or hurt. But the food was ruined and my
hard work was for naught. Had I simply taken my time and not rushed, the
unfortunate incident would not have occurred.
In the above situation, little was hurt. But not taking care or time in
other situations can have devastating consequences. So much of injury
prevention is just common sense! How often have you injured yourself and
afterwards said, I knew I shouldn't have done it that way
end to this sentence is but I was in a hurry!
We are busy people. And we do rush through life. Add to that the extra
activities and stress that accompany the holiday season and you have
created a great environment for an accident. In fact, statistically,
injuries occur more frequently during the holiday season. Here are some
safety reminders for the holidays.
Don't do something in a manner in which you know isn't the correct way
to do it. (Then you won't have to say I knew I shouldn't have done
If you give sporting equipment such as skateboards, skates or bicycles
for holiday presents, be sure to add the proper protective gear.
Emergency rooms report an increase in fractures within the few days
following the holiday due to spills, falls and collisions.
Candles, while beautifully casting a warm glow, can be very dangerous
any time of the year. But during the holiday season, people use them
more often. Frequently they are placed near greens that become quite
flammable as they dry out. Children can also bump into them.
Speaking of children, the holidays can present some special risks to
them. Emergency rooms often see children for holiday-related injuries
like aspirated pine needles, little ornaments or artificial snow.
Poisoning can be a big problem, too. Many holiday plants and berries are
poisonous (to your pets also.) Alcohol poisoning can also occur if
little ones get their hands on glasses with small amounts of leftover
drinks. It doesn't take much alcohol to poison a small body.
If you celebrate the holidays with a live tree, keep it tree watered.
Do not place it near a heating source. Never go out or to bed with
lights left on. Inspect light string for frays or breaks. Of course, it
goes without saying a lit candle on a tree is not a very good idea.
(While we're discussing fire safety, take time to check your smoke
detectors. Also, never go out or to bed with a clothes dryer running.)
Alcohol doesn't mix very well with stress or driving. It can also
create an environment for squabbles to get out of hand. We always think,
it will happen to the other guy, but intoxication can lead to mistakes
in judgment that can have a lifelong impact.
Take time to enjoy the season. Try to remember the true reason for
celebration. The December holidays are held in remembrance of miracles,
not spectacles. For more information on this topic, District residents
can call QVHD, 248-4528 or request on line,
|An Ounce of Prevention is a
publication of the Quinnipiack Valley Health District, located at
1151 Hartford Turnpike, North Haven, CT 06473. Telephone:
248-4528. An Ounce of Prevention is
written by V. Deborah Culligan. The articles are published in the following local newspapers, The Advisor &
The content is provided as health education and
information to help you make health decisions. It is not intended to
be legal or medical advice, or substitute for recommendations made
by your health care provider. Address all comments to the district